5514 Masonic Avenue
Cross Alcatraz Avenue, which divides Oakland and Berkeley, and you’ll find yourself in Rockridge, one of Oakland's most desirable, charming, and convenient neighborhoods. Housing in Rockridge is a combination of charming bungalows, cottages, classic Arts and Crafts dwellings, and large brown-shingle houses. Its leafy streets are mainly residential. Rockridge offers an easy commute into San Francisco via the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) station, as well as access to the University of California, Berkeley Campus. The 100-year-old, four-acre campus of the California College of Art and Crafts is nearby. Food-and-drink purveyors in Rockridge provide the best from around the world and local farms. Rockridge Market Hall, which takes its cue from the French Marché, offers numerous individual food and flower shops open to the sidewalk. Dozens of restaurants, cafes, and boutiques line bustling College Avenue, Rockridge's main drag.
Tucked away in the wooded hills and winding streets above Oakland, Montclair is a small community with an appealing central shopping district. Sizable custom homes, along with a mix of Mediterranean, Craftsman, and contemporary-style homes are situated on forested lots, offering an elegant retreat from the city.
The Montclair Business District is a throwback to a simpler time before strip malls, megamalls, and big-box stores. Residents can find everything they need, from dry cleaning and groceries to restaurants. Local restaurant favorites include the Montclair Egg Shop, Flipper’s Gourmet Burgers, and Crogan’s Montclair Restaurant. Gourmet specialty items are available at Le Bonbon, and Farmstead Wine and Cheese. A farmers market on Sundays provides fresh local produce and baked goods. Montclair is home to fine-arts festivals throughout the year and a jazz festival in the late summer that enlivens the street scene.
Nestled atop a picturesque setting in prestigious Upper Rockridge, this magnificent chalet has been meticulously reimagined to modern, rustic luxurious perfection. Preserving its dynamic A-frame design and adding modern elements and amenities were key to creating a one-of-a-kind, state-of-the-art retreat that embraces its natural surroundings. The custom exterior and multiple outdoor entertaining areas thoughtfully integrate existing mature trees, providing many levels of access and enjoyment from the indoors to the outdoors. Use of Ipe wood and Redwood, various metals, concrete, stucco and natural rock harmoniously blend in the overall unique design. Rebuilt from top to bottom with all new interiors, hi-efficiency systems, windows and doors, significant seismic upgrades, expanded living spaces, appliances and high-end fixtures, the amenities are abundant in this home. The home features four bedrooms and three and a half bathrooms with living spaces comfortably laid out on three levels, each boasting its own outdoor entertaining areas.
Upon entry into the spacious foyer, the dramatic volume of light and space and striking architectural elements immediately draw you in. The massive great room features walls of windows and skylights, flooding every corner with natural light. Double sliding glass doors connect seamlessly to the expansive new Ipe wood deck with serene tree-top views. Varied wood finishes, crisp white walls, repurposed rustic wood paneling and forged metal accents adorn the open concept main level and staircases. An original Malm Fire Drum copper gas fireplace brings coziness to the large space. The dreamy open-layout kitchen overlooks the living and dining areas, dressed in deep earth tones and equipped with black stainless steel appliances and brass fixtures and hardware. Breakfast bar seating is available on the gorgeous kitchen island with natural White Macaubas quartzite countertops. A powder room, large walk-in pantry, and separate laundry/mud room are conveniently found on this level as well.
At the lower level is a generous family room, which opens to a verdant, low-maintenance garden surrounded by mature trees and featuring artificial grass, drought resistant plantings, and Ipe wood landing and seating wall. Water- and energy-saving automated drip irrigation and low-voltage LED lighting are integrated throughout the landscape. A large bedroom with walk-in closet, additional storage room and full bathroom, provides a comfortable haven for visiting guests or ample home office space.
From the foyer, a floating wood staircase leads to the uppermost level, with two sun-filled bedrooms, a full bathroom and the master suite. Featuring a spa-inspired en-suite bathroom and walk-in closet, the master bedroom also boasts direct access to the private, rear multi-level redwood outdoor lounging and dining decks. A fully equipped outdoor kitchen with concrete countertops, built-in grill, fridge and sink is tucked beneath the branches of the beautiful oak tree focal point. This truly unique and thoughtfully designed property has it all, including two carports, an extended driveway, and beautifully terraced and landscaped grounds, ready for its new owners to call it home.
Located in the prized Upper Rockridge neighborhood in Oakland sought-after for its top-rated elementary school and close proximity to Rockridge and Montclair Village amenities, College Ave, Claremont, and Elmwood shopping corridors and eateries. This idyllic and peaceful neighborhood offers tree-lined streets, picturesque views and quick access to many regional parks, hiking trails, outdoor activities, and daily life conveniences. Commute is a breeze with Rockridge BART, multiple bus lines and hwys 13, 24, and 580 just minutes away.
SELLERS' IMPROVEMENTS - Completed 2019
Exterior & Structural
- Significantly upgraded and seismically strengthened entire house structure, including existing foundation at main section of house (w/requisite permits, architectural and engineering plans)
- Completely new foundation at front lower addition with permits and engineering plans
- All new Andersen Architectural and 400 series windows and exterior sliding doors, with wood interiors and low-maintenance vinyl and fiberglass exteriors in modern black Perma-Shield finish (Windows come with transferable 20-year warranty)
- All new roofing (Presidential fiberglass shingles at A-frame and modified bitumen at rear)
- All new gutters
- All new waterproofing, stucco and Ipe board siding
- All new exterior LED lighting with timer
- Sewer Lateral Certificate of Compliance
- Sidewalk Certificate of Compliance
- Clear Section 1 on Pest Report (East Bay Structural Report dated 10.13.19)
New Exterior Landscaping
All new high-quality custom outdoor living spaces designed and installed by Shambhala Landscapes. Designed with the intent of connecting the indoors with the outdoors, maximizing usable space while minimizing maintenance, and taking advantage of the beautiful mature trees surrounding the property.
- Ipe wood main entry steps and landing, including built-in concrete planter with rock feature (Ipe wood is extremely strong, low-maintenance, and dense wood, also known as Ironwood or Brazil wood, that is naturally resistant to mildew, insects and fire.)
- Concrete and stone front steps leading to main entry with Redwood railing
- High quality cedar wood paneling over main entry ceiling area, with recessed lighting
- Redwood rear decks surrounding dramatic, mature oak tree
- Custom outdoor kitchen featuring concrete countertop, built-in Lion stainless steel grill, and sink with cold-water and drain feature which recycles to plants; organic soap recommended
- Rear feature wall with reclaimed wood panels
- Ceramic hand-made vase water feature with remote control
- Ipe wood deck off main living room with treetop view and stainless steel cable railings
- Front garden shaded by mature trees, Ipe wood landing/steps/seating wall, drought/pet/kid-friendly high-quality artificial grass, concrete paver pathway, and stainless steel cable railings
- Mostly native and drought-resistant planting in beautifully varied colors, with water-saving automated drip irrigation system throughout
- Low-voltage copper and brass LED landscape lighting throughout (from Urban Farmer)
- Concrete and stucco, redwood, and natural rock retaining walls at front and side
- Redwood horizontal board fencing
Interiors & Systems
- Entire home remodeled down to the studs with new additional space at family room, laundry/mud room, and master suite (with requisite permits, architectural and engineering plans)
- All rooms completely renovated with all new framing, insulation and drywall
- New wide plank engineered white oak flooring throughout
- New interior doors and stainless steel door hardware throughout
- New LED recessed lighting throughout home
- New designer pendant, sconces and track lighting (West Elm, Juno)
- New electrical, plumbing and heating systems (including all wiring, copper pipes and ducts)
- New energy-efficient tankless gas water heater
- New gas furnace and Nest thermostat
- New Velux skylights (1 electric remote-controlled)
- New cast iron sewer pipes, including recently replaced sewer lateral
- All new smoke and CO2 detector alarms
- New Samsung large-capacity, high efficiency washer and gas dryer in separate laundry/mud room
Other Notable Features
- Preserved original wood panel and beamed ceilings in a-frame living/dining great room
- Hand-carved balsa wood ceiling fan in living room
- Reclaimed wood paneling in dining/living area and kitchen
- New interior staircases: Solid wood slab step treads, custom hand-forged metal, cedar wood, and stainless steel cable railings, floating staircase to upper level with cedar screen wall feature
- Intricate, antique wood decorative panels featured throughout home.
- Malm Fire Drum copper natural gas fireplace (original to home) updated w/ custom concrete base
- Master walk-in closet with customizable wardrobe system
New Kitchen Features, Materials/Appliances
- Extremely strong White Macaubas Quartzite natural stone kitchen counters
- Solid white oak open shelving with lighting
- Custom finished kitchen cabinets with brass hardware
- Stainless steel undermount sink with brass faucet
- Black stainless steel appliances, refrigerator with filtered water dispenser
- Handcrafted Spanish horizontal stacked tile backsplash
- Kitchen island with bar seating, reclaimed wood, forged metal accents, and pendant lighting
- Large pantry room with rustic antique door
New Bathroom Features, Materials/Fixtures/Brands
- High-end bathroom vanities: Pottery Barn in upper level bathrooms, custom-built Ipe wood and concrete in main level powder room, Carrara marble vanity top in lower level bathroom
- High-end shower fixtures: Brizo Litze luxe gold shower system in master with dual raincan shower heads and hand shower, Grohe satin nickel shower/tub systems in other bathrooms
- Kohler toilets in all bathrooms
- Kingston Brass and Moen sink faucets in all bathrooms
- High-end tile finishes: Carrara marble basket weave and subway tile in master bath, white hex tile and Spanish floor tile in upper level bath, Italian handcrafted tile in lower level bath
Showings by Appointment:
Contact Tracy Palma